Dance like nobody's watching
The dancer

Rebecca Chia
Rebecca Chia
Create Your Badge

Rebecca
27th July
Murdoch University
Leo
Loves to Laugh


Shouts




links

My Forever21 Wishlist
link
link
link
link
link

Credits

Designer: Elies
Base code:OHsaygoodbye
Image: Kristi

Thursday, April 28, 2011

( @ 8:47 pm )

singapore is having its first nationwide elections for the first time in 22 years. oh wait, it's not nationwide, because the Singapore Democratic Alliance submitted their candidacy application 37 seconds too late. so the Tanjong Pagar GRC seats are uncontested, which is why out of 87 seats, only 82 are contested.

My first thought when I saw the number of seats contested was, wow, isn't this a strong sign of discontentment? This is not america, we don't encourage free speech, and in all the years i grew up in singapore, i have never seen such a strong reaction from the public. It's like overnight, teams I have never even heard of suddenly appeared and indicated their interest in contesting for the different constituencies.

Don't the government worry at all? From what I have read on Yahoo, it sounds as though the more they say, the more they are jeopardizing their own chances in the election. for me, the disillusionment started one to two years ago. it was gradual, but it happened. and if it happened to me, who used to be completely apathetic to politics, it will happen to many other Singaporeans. It actually looks as though it already did.

I can't vote. I'm studying in Western Australia now. My only source of news is yahoo news. Imagine my surprise and occasional amusement when I read something about the elections, and I scroll down to the comments section to see the many derisive remarks. I wonder what will happen after 7 May. I'm not going to say who i would have voted for, if i have the chance to vote. i should reckon that it is clear.

but hey, at least PAP knows that they have 5 seats for themselves. 5 seats out of 87 seats, i guess that in this elections, the 5 seats boost will be a big help to them.

3x3eunt.



0 comments